|DISCLAIMER! A Mothcat Bank is required to participate in the Mothcats ARPG. In addition, all participants automatically agree to the Species Terms and Conditions. Cheating and failure to comply with these terms will result in an automatic ban from the ARPG.|
Dyes are items used to recolor portions of a Mothcat/Subspecies, Item, or Companion. Both MYO and Official Mothcats can be dyed.
Types of Dyes
Generic dyes can be used on Mothcats, subspecies, companions, and other items. Each color corresponds to the range of shades and hues associated with the color. These dyes are all basic "flat" colors seen on the color wheel and do not include special effects.
Egg dyes are smaller, cheaper dyes that can only be used for companions and items. Otherwise they work exactly like generic dyes.
Special dyes add effects to the character or item being dyed. Applied Traits, such as glittering and metallic effects, are achieved by using special dyes, named essences for distinction.
Dyes have different coverage, depending on what is being dyed. The maximum coverage is how much of the body can be coated with one bottle of dye. Multiple bottles of dyes are required for full body coverage for Mothcats. Old art style dye bottles (small, reverse tear-shaped) are retired items but may still be used for dyeing at half the coverage of a new bottle.
|Old Dyes (All)||25%||50%||50%||100%|
For example, only one (1) bottle of dye is needed to completely dye an item a certain color. Two bottles of a specific color are required to completely recolor a Mothcat to that color.
Please note that these values are for solid dyeing only. See below for exceptions and techniques.
Methods and Techniques
All pre-existing markings can be recolored with dyes without needing extra items. Markings can be "hidden" by coloring them with the same color as the surrounding fur.
New markings can be added to Mothcats using Marking Primer, in addition to any required dyes for colors.
Regular dyes only offer "flat" and "solid" recolors. To add gradients, an Essence of Rainbow must be used.
Eyes cannot be dyed with regular dyes. (Items to recolor eyes are soon to be released.)
All items can be recolored freely as long as the right dyes are being used.
- Dyes and Essences can be purchased from Ayana's Beauty Salon with Flower Tokens or crafted/mixed via quest.
- Egg Dyes can be purchased from Farina's Craft store with Flower Tokens or crafted/mixed via quest.
- Essences are available to purchase in limited amounts. They are exclusive to members Rank A or higher only.
- Rank A members may purchase any special dye once per month, total.
- Rank S members may purchase up to three special dyes per month, total.
- If you want a darker or lighter shade of a color than the dye is you may be required to purchase additional black and/or white dyes to get your specific desired color.
Self-Service Dyeing (Mothcats/Subspecies)
- Users must update Mothchive with updated images for Mothcats and subspecies' once the process has been approved (additional changes will not be accepted until the masterlist is up-to-date with the most current design).
- Dyes can be used to dye any existing markings and/or parts of a Mothcat, but cannot be used to create new markings. Dyes cannot be used in gradients.
- Eyes cannot be recolored with dyes!
Self-Service Dyeing (Companions/Items)
See also: Adding Custom Items
- It the user's responsibility to provide a 70x70 thumbnail of desired recolored items and companions. Bases are provided for some items, but not all.
- Companions must be dyed "natural" colors. (For example, you cannot dye a hamster to be pink, whereas black or white would be acceptable).
- Rank A or higher members may request "unnatural" colors, but it must be approved.
- You can use both regular and egg dyes for this, though egg dyes are recommended.
- Any recolored items or companions will be added to the Item Database.