|DISCLAIMER! A Mothcats.com account is required to participate in the Mothcats ARPG. In addition, all participants automatically agree to the Species Terms and Conditions. Cheating and failure to comply with these terms will result in an automatic ban from the ARPG.|
The Community Garden(/Improvement Bingo) is an activity wherein members can take on daily challenges for a set span of time to obtain points toward rewards in a shop. The nature of these is open-ended, as they are primarily intended to reward members for bettering themselves.
Rules & Guidelines
Any of these rules may be changed to suit a particular prompt. These are just general guidelines and care should always be taken to read the individual prompt's rules.
- Only Mothcats members are allowed to participate. (All members automatically agree to our Species Terms and Conditions.)
- Members do not need to own a Mothcat to participate.
- Both admins and members can participate.
Community Garden Guidelines
- Participants may take on the community prompt and one personal prompt per month cycle (beginning on the first of each month.)
- Participants may complete challenges which extend past monthly rollover. However, they may not take on a new challenge of that type until they complete their existing one.
- Participants may begin on either the day they register or the following day. The challenge is considered begun once the first entry is posted, or failing that, on the day following registration.
- Entries for each (community and personal) prompt must be unique between them-- that is, you can't use the same entry for both.
- Entries may, however, be used for other activities, such as quests.
- There is no explicit minimum for daily entries. However, if we feel that entrie(s) do not reflect a reasonable amount of effort, we reserve the right not to accept them.
- Members may, per prompt, have 1 day where they provide two entries to account for a past or anticipated "missed day."
- Please clearly indicate if and when you do so!
How to Participate
- Read the Community Garden information, and check the month's community prompt and/or consider a personal prompt, as well as your desired challenge duration for either or both.
- Read the community prompt and rules -OR- read the personal prompt rules and come up with an appropriate daily activity.
- Register your challenge at the appropriate hub.
- Carry out the relevant activity daily for 9, 16, or 25 days depending on your selected difficulty. You do not need to wait for approval to begin!
- Submit your completed prompt log on Mothcats.com.
- Wait for a market runner to approve your completed log and award you points.
- (Optional) Purchase rewards using your points at the Community Garden Store.
Prompts and You
Community Prompts will often have participants make something in a creative fashion. (This is, after all, part of an ARPG, though the products need not be Mothcats-associated.)
Personal Prompts are more freeform, and participant-defined. They do not have to involve Mothcats or even any creative endeavor.
For some ideas, general challenges that have been undertaken in the past include:
- Updating character bios
- Making a design a day
- Working through personal project backlogs
- (and much, much more.)
Participants have three difficulties to choose from-- easy, medium, and hard-- with 9, 16, and 25 day durations respectively. Challenges are considered "finished" after that number of days have elapsed, starting from the first entry (or, failing that, the day after registration.) Challenges must be submitted in order to be awarded points.
Once a challenge has ended and been submitted, a bingo board of the appropriate dimensions (3x3, 4x4, or 5x5 for easy, medium, and hard respectively) will be randomly rolled and each day of the challenge completed marked off on that board. Points are awarded for each match made (3, 4, or 5 days completed in a vertical, horizontal, or diagonal line) and a bonus is given for a full board.
the Community Garden Store
The Community Garden Store contains the various goods participants may purchase with earned points.
There are three kinds of stock:
- General stock, which is always present.
- Seasonal stock, which rotates with the seasons. The next seasonal rotation is listed in the community garden journal.
- Monthly stock, which rotates on the 1st of each month along with the community prompt.
The monthy or seasonal stocks will frequently contain some manner of special prize(s). Occasionally, these may be very special indeed!
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm on a different time zone! What does this mean for my challenge?
Worry not! Operate on your own time zone. If there's a concern about one or more entries, the market runner responsible for checking your submitted log will ask about it first, so you have a chance to clear things up.
How many points are possible to earn per difficulty?Easy (3x3) prompts may award a max of 5 points, medium (4x4) a max of 11, and hard (5x5) a max of 20, given full matches and a bonus for completing all days successfully. Plan accordingly, and good luck!